Saturday, January 23, 2016

Did I hear sale? Six of my best finds


The winter sales began before Christmas and February is nearly upon us, but this hasn't stopped me from continuing in my hunt for a hard-earned bargain. I much prefer the January sales to the summer equivalent: it is a chance to invest in staples that will last for more than one season; cherry-pick home accessories to complement existing decor without the price tag; and nab SS16 inspired pieces that only dropped a few weeks before being discounted (trends lingering around include cold shoulder pieces and glam-geek midi-length skirts).

In what remains of the sales, I thought I'd share some of the gems I've unearthed after hours spent trawling department stores and online shops.




  1. Cushions from Made.com: I've had my eye on these lively, geometric cushions for approximately six months, but at close to £30 for one cushion, the cost was a little hard to justify when I was renovating my flat last year. I was pleasantly surprised then when Made.com (my interior design site of choice although it tends to be outside of my price range most of the year) included them in its sale offering. The mustard yellow hue has spruced up and added a jolt of colour to my grey, tonal bedroom.
  2. Assorted jumpers from Gap: The January sales are the perfect time to invest in wardrobe staples. Perhaps not the most fashion-forward brand, yet Gap's knitwear is consistently reliable: it's simple, well-fitting and created from cosy fabric-blends, such as Merino wool or Lambswool. I stocked up on various grey, blue and black Crewnecks and V-necks.
  3. Yellow shoes from Zara: These suede slingbacks are perhaps the most gloriously impractical shoes I now own. I realise they are going to be tricky to walk in and the dreary Edinburgh weather may prevent me from ever wearing them outside for fear of forever tarnishing them, but I still couldn't resist, even more so because Zara's sales remain rare events. There are no mid-season sales, 10% discounts or email promotions throughout the year; there is a summer sale and a winter sale, and I always eagerly anticipate them both.
  4. POPP lamp from Habitat: Another new addition for my flat, this lamp does exactly what its name suggests: my hall now has a pop of apple green. Plus, the bamboo brings a little bit of Asia into my home.
  5. Marks & Spencer coat: Despite the brand's much publicised floundering retail business, Marks & Spencer continues to design a smattering of gems in collections largely overlooked by the fashion masses. A devoted aficionado of Scandy-noir The Bridge, I managed to nab a Saga-esque cashmere military coat from M&S's winter collection and have worn it every day since.
  6. Oliver Bonas rug: My last purchase for my flat, I found this in Oliver Bonas to accompany the lamp from Habitat. Polka dots are always fun.




Have you been shopping in the sales? What has been your favourite purchase?